Milena's cheesecake makes the perfect holiday breakfast!
I met my friend Milena in Milan, Italy in April 2011 when I was there for the Milan Furniture Fair. I had stayed the night over and the next day she surprised me by baking the most delicious cheesecake for breakfast. I still remember sitting at her dining table in her lovely vintage inspired studio apartment located in a quiet neighborhood near the Porta Genova Metro Station and talking about organic food and meditation while enjoying the cheesecake with a cup of fine espresso. For almost 4 years now I have been carrying the recipe in my wallet which she wrote for me on a small piece of lined paper and today an idea came to me to share it with you! So enjoy your cheesecake and don't forget the espresso! Bon appetito!
Recipe of Milena's Cheesecake as written by her (unedited).
Oven 180 degrees for 20 minutes and then 150 degrees for 40 minutes
- 16 biscuits
- 40gm sugar
- 75gm butter
- 4 eggs–yolks and whites separated
- 150gm sugar
- 200gm cream (Crème fraîche)
- 400gm cottage cheese
- pinch of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Crush the biscuits and mix with sugar and butter; then put in a cake tin.
- Mix the yolks with sugar; join the cream and the cottage cheese always mixing until smooth. Add a pinch of vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg white with the salt until stiff.
- Combine the egg white into the cream mixture and pour over the oaten biscuits.
- Put in the oven at 180 degrees and bake for 20 minutes; then bake for 40 minutes at 150 degrees.
The cake is perfect if served with strawberries!