Makeup tips and more from London based celebrity Makeup artist, Dan Delgado
Meet Dan Delgado:
- Makeup Designer for the first ever cinematically released music album Whiplashdreams.
- Head of Makeup during London Fashion Week for brands like Sydney-Davies, Susana Bettencourt, Alexandra Moura, Klar & Rein.
- Working with musicians such as Iris Gold, Cuckoolander and Janset.
I recently had the chance to meet and learn makeup from London based celebrity makeup artist Dan Delgado at the London School of Beauty and Makeup. Here is an interview with Dan in which he talks about how he first started doing makeup, his experience as a makeup artist over the years as well as some makeup tips. I also chose some of his pictures from his social media posts, so you know all the different looks he does!
1. How did you start your career as a Makeup artist? Did you get any formal training ?
I started my career in the beauty and fashion industry working in retail as well as campaign shoots where the magic really begins. It is amazing to be a part of a full team of creative people who work together and come out with beautiful concepts. This is the time I realized I wanted to be a full time Makeup artist as Makeup was the one thing that always mesmerized me! So I decided to do a formal training and at the end of the training, started assisting renowned Makeup artists in the industry. This helped me to gain experience and further my Makeup skills before I ventured out on my own.
2. What inspires you and keeps you motivated?
Everything inspires me from going to galleries, walking around in different cities, other professionals...! However the one thing that keeps me motivated is my love for what I do and the fact that every job I do is so different. Also being part of such a saturated industry I always have to keep challenging myself to be current as well as an inspiration for another artist.
3. What has been so far your best area of work?
This is a hard one because I love every area and aspect of my job but if you ask me what do I do the most--it would be fashion, editorial and music. Having said that I do enjoy and give my best to everything I do.
4. Please share with our readers your highest moment or the most exciting experience at work...
(laughs) I don’t want to sound repetitive but every experience I have with my job is exciting for me and the highest moment I guess I could say when I did my first scheduled fashion show as Key Makeup artist leading my own team as that was something I always I wanted to do since I started.
5. Have you faced any challenges being a male makeup artist in a fairly female dominated industry?
I have faced a lot of challenges but never for being a male makeup artist or at least not that I noticed (laughs) :).
6. Would you like to give any tips to any aspiring freelance artists?
I would say stay true to yourself and never give up if this is what your dream is.
7. Women want to look and feel beautiful always and forever, what are your makeup tips for them?
I think every woman is beautiful in her own way and it is all about embracing your own beauty and working with it; from a classic eyeliner to a smashed liner for a more grungy look, strong red/dark lips to a nude shade, or full glam face to a fresh no makeup face. It really gets down to what you feel most comfortable wearing.
8. What would you call your signature style that sets you apart from other makeup artists?
Wow…. I am really into beautiful healthy skin and the fact that you can see the skin not just the makeup. I don’t know if that sets me apart from other makeup artist, however I think in this industry you have to be very versatile so you can always evolve in such a fast paced industry.
9. I would love a sneak peek in your kit! What exciting (secret) product will I find which I so must have?
(Laughs) If you go through my kit right now, you would find a variety of products from luxury brands to drug store products. I do have a few products I normally wouldn’t leave my house without but makeup is so very personal so the one thing that works great with one client may not work for another. The one product I like very much is the Touche Éclat Radiant Touch Concealer by YSL for concealing, contouring and highlighting.
10. Make up tips for me please!
You have beautiful skin and I love your natural look so I could only say keep up your skin care routine and do not hide it.
To follow Dan: